Thursday, January 13, 2011

Hana Yori Dango: The Indian version?

First of all, I'd like to say this week's been brutal but I am doing fine. I went back to University and let me just tell you it’s freezing over here. It’s like -13 which I know isn't as bad as say Nunavut but still, I hate the cold.

Anyhow about the topic, I was trying to be more positive and thinking about happy things. In a random conversation with my sister, we started talking about what manga would be best adapted by the Indian cinema. I mean, if they adapt one of the mangas in India, my parents might finally watch it. Seriously, they think I am a weirdo for liking all this stuff.  To tell you the truth, the idea of Bollywood butchering some of my favourite mangas is reprehensible. Nevertheless, we both thought Hana Yori Dango (Boys before flowers) would be the best adaptation. It is a melodrama and a love story, two things Indians can do well. On top of that with the Indian economic growth, I can totally believe this story being set up there. I mean, ask your selves how many Indian movies have the rich guy, poor girl scenario and parents coming between their love. This drama will be different because the protagonists are so young. However, our fear is that the most directors in Indian cinema will wreck it.

Who should make the drama: Um, this was hard. I like the work of Dibakar Bannerjee so far but he deals with dark themes. Maybe he needs to make a fun drama with no song and dance. Someone, quick give me his number? I'll go out on a limb and say  that Kiran Rao  might make me proud since her hubby Aamir can bankroll the project. Oh, imagine the buzz it will create. Oh, I also heard awesome reviews for her debut movie Dhobi Ghat. My only fear is that Aamir might wanna play Domyouji. Blech!

Cast: The F4, Tsukushi, all the young characters should be newcomers. I mean, seriously Indian cinema needs to stop nepotism and unearth young talent across the country. T hey’ve got over a billion people, I am sure they can find hot, talented actors for the role. Indian cinema is full of old dudes playing 20 something, and it’s got to stop. Another fear of mine is that the adaptation might be a vehicle to launch an actor/politician's off springs acting career. UGH! So, yeah newcomers will be awesome.

Supporting cast: Oh, now I have few famous actors who might kick ass in their roles. this is probably never goona happen but here I go:
Kaede Domoyouji aka Evil Mom
Oh, Lillete Dubey, you can do this role justice.



Lillete Dubey

Tsubaki Domoyouji aka the awesome sister of Domoyouji
I had trouble with this one, she's beautiful but compaasionate and understands what Domoyouji is going through. My sister picked Aishwarya Rai but I picked Preity Zinta. She's not in any movies so she might do television. Okay, its not likely but I can hope can't I? I, also think she sorta has resemblence to Lillete.


Now for Shizuka Todou: This was the easiest pick. Shizuka had a modeling carrer so I am picking model turned actor Deepika Padukone.



That's all I've got. Do you think India's ready for its own version of Hana Yori Dango?

All images are from Google Images.

No comments:

Post a Comment