Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Tanu Weds Manu Movie review

First of all, I 'd like to say I made a mistake in the last post that I have corrected. I am doing the wedding theme movie review today and tomorrow and not on Friday.



Source: photofunt.com

Now to the review. This is the spoiler free discussion.


The story is about Manu, an NRI who comes to India to visit his family in Delhi and um to get married. In the process of seeing girls his parents found, he meets Tanu, a UP girl. Her parents try to pass her off as a traditional obedient Indian girl except the audience suspects it is not quite the case. Anyhoo, Tanu never actually gets to see Manu because she took sleeping pills and is subsequently out. Manu falls in love with Tanu at first sight but she does not reciprocate the feelings. The girl's got a boyfriend, smokes, drinks and hence not the ideal Indian nari. She forces Manu to break off the engagement. Manu is heartbroken but ends up at his childhood friends wedding and lo behold the bride to be's best friend is Tanu. Will they or will they not fall in love?

The movie is full of cliches which i usually don't mind in a masala movie. But gosh, this movie was disappointing. First of all, the two main protagonists Tanu and Manu. Tanu is a spoiled, bratty selfish girl who does not want to marry a guy her parents chose because she does not want them to make that decision for her. Okay, I get that. But, here's the problem. Tanu isn't independent, has her own job and relies on her parent's money. Her choice in boys is questionable. But what is the worse is how she keeps tramping on Manu's heart despite him helping her over and over again. He loves this girl and I really don't get it. I see no character growth and found tanu selfish to the end.
Manu, Manu, oh boy. This man is a noble idiot. He keeps letting this girl walk all over her. sure, he loves her but I don't understand why. Does he love her because she's pretty or he interested in her because she doesn't fit the mold of homely Indian girl. That's the feeling I got from the movie.

The movie does have  awesome secondary characters who are the voice of reason in the whole movie. I liked them more than Tanu and Manu. The movie also got a fun soundtrack. My favourite is Jugni as two lines from the song remind me of my late great grandmother. Sadi gali is also good.

My verdict: Buy the soundtrack, don't bother watching the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment