Monday, April 25, 2011

Mumbai Diaries

When I saw the movie Dhobie Ghat, I knew I wanted to visit Mumbai and see this incredible city myself. My mom went to India in the early April and quite unexpectedly she had to go to Mumbai. It was her first time and she liked Mumbai. I'd like to share some of her thoughts on this city and India in general. 
My mom thought Mumbai was a nicer city than Delhi where she spent a week. Mumbai had an easy going vibe that she liked. As for India, she thinks India still has a long way to catch up to China. The cities were dirty, had poor infrastructure and the people were aggressive. So, what about the economic miracle I kept hearing about. Well, my mom shared this anecdotal evidence with me. A decade ago, the going rate for a shagun  (gifts you give on auspicious occasions) was 101 rupees. Now it is 500 rupees for kids and a 1000 rupees for adults. So, the middle class is wealthier and have more stuff. As for the poor, my mom thought there was more poverty.






















The sign above advertises for cold dreams. Yup, and it is Hindi. Don't ask me what cold dreams are? If you wanna try them out, go to Mumbai.


LOL:D







No comments:

Post a Comment